How do you Mac and Cheese?
It’s great for breakfast, lunch, and dinner
Mac and Cheese it’s wonderful as a take along for a party or picnic. It’s great for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Oh yes, I love it for breakfast.
Most people I meet say that they don’t like the boxed powder cheese Mac and Cheese, but if they aren’t eating then who is?? Me that’s who.
Don’t get me wrong I loooooove making Baked Mac and Cheese and if I say so myself, I’m pretty damn good at it.. But I absolutely love the quick and ease of the boxed powdered mac and cheese and adding my spin on it.
So for all those who only will eat a homemade baked mac and cheese this first recipe is for you.
For everyone else keep readying. I’ve added my favorite twist to the boxed mac and cheese below.
Sign up here for tidbits and extras
My baked Mac and Cheese recipe
I usually make this for a large crowd
- 32 ounces elbow mac
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (use less if you’re not into garlic. we love garlic here)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 package bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 8 ounce package shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 8 ounce package shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 8 ounce package shredded Mexican cheese blend
- panko for topping
- fresh grated nutmeg, about 1/2 teaspoon or so
- In a large pot bring salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside in 9 x 13 inch pan.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter in a little bit of olive oil (the olive oil prevents the butter from burning). Once the butter is melted add the flour and stir; cook the flour for 1 minute, 2-3 if you want a darker roué. Add the salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the chicken broth and continue to stir until thickened.
- Add all three cheeses and a little over half the bacon crumbs, keeping some out for topping. Stir well.
- Pour cheese mixture over pasta and mix well. Top with panko, cheese that was held back and the rest of the bacon.
- Put in preheated 350 oven for 25 to 30 until bubbly.
Mac and Cheese bites
Use the same recipe as above only instead of using a 9 X 13 pan put the Mac and Cheese mixture into a muffin pan and top with extra cheese. Bake in preheated 350 oven until bubbly.
Now for some of my favorite boxed mac and cheese mixes
- Cook mac and cheese according to the directions on the box. I don’t add milk to my mac and cheese. I save a little of the pasta water and add 2 table spoons of unsalted butter or margarine. Mix that really well then I add the powdered cheese. This is the base mac and cheese and by its self all good but..
Mac and Cheese for Breakfast
- For breakfast, I put a ladle of mac and cheese (honestly I have no clue how much I use it’s less than 1/2 a cup though) in a non-stick skillet with yep a little more butter.
- I stir fry that a little bit then add 2 eggs and scramble it all together. If I have any cilantro in the house I’ll chopped that up and add it as well.
Lunch or Dinner
- Instead of using butter I added beef broth, powdered cheese packet, a teaspoon of garlic powder and topped it with fresh basil
- In a bowl mix powdered cheese, 2 tablespoons softened butter, grated gruyere cheese, and grated parmesan reggiano cheese. Then mix in the noodles.
- 1/2 pack of Ranch dressing mix, 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon butter. Mix the mayonnaise, ranch dressing mix, butter and powdered cheese together. When draining the noodles keep a little of the water to help with the mix. Mix it all together and enjoy.
These are just some of the ways I enjoy the boxed Mac and Cheese. Let me know below how you like to eat it or post your baked recipe to share with everyone.
Sign up here for tidbits and extras